The Maintenance department is responsible for the maintenance of existing roads and bridges.
- Installation of culverts
- Installing and repairing pavement markings
- Installing, repairing, and replacing signs
- Patching and sealing of asphalt surface
- Removal of roadside hazards
- Repairing guard rails, bridge rails, and decks
- Repairs to road shoulders
- Road grading and sweeping
- Snow and ice removal
- Vegetation control
Snow & Ice Removal Policy
The Snow and Ice Removal Policy (PDF) has been established to provide guidelines for the public and for operators to follow in order to ensure consistent practices for snow and ice removal during winter storms.
Polk County has offered a Dust Control Program for Polk County gravel surfaced roads since 1998. The dust suppressant used has been one application of liquid calcium chloride.
Calcium chloride is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts moisture from the atmosphere and its surroundings. This tendency helps to keep gravel surfaces damp and the dust down. As a result, when applied to a gravel surfaced road, the surface becomes compact.
Over time, the chemical penetrates the surface adding a stabilizing effect, which holds the aggregate together in the gravel surface.