Real Estate Records Search
History & Searching Tips
Review the History and Searching Tips page for more information.
Searching by Subdivisions
Review the Tips for Searching by Subdivisions (PDF).
- After February 5, 1889
- Prior to February 5, 1889
- Tract Books
- Errors & Omissions
- Index & Verification
Documents After February 5, 1889
- Documents can be found by document number (example: A000123456) or book and page when applicable
- Example: Book: DEED085, Page: 123; Book: MORT620, Page: 001; Book: MISC120 Page: 497
- If document number or book and page unknown, search by indexing of any of the following:
- Parcel Number/Parcel Identification Number (PIN)
- Instrument Type
- Party Name (Grantor/Grantee/Either)
- Record Date
Indexing of Images
Indexing of images of land records completed from 1988 to present; we are working on updating indexing prior to.
- Documents recorded prior to February 5, 1889 do not have document numbers but can be found by searching by book and page.
- Example: Book: DEED00A, Page: 001; Book: MISC00A, Page: 123; Book: MORT00A, Page: 456
- Indexing and images of recorded Plats completed from 1885 to current for present day Polk County
- Example: Instrument Type: Plat, Subdivision: AASEN’S SUB
- Indexing and images of a limited number of Tract Books is available digitally, search Instrument Type: Tract Book Platted or Tract Book Unplatted to see what is available
- Please note this is a work in progress and not all tract books are currently available in digital format.
This is a working index and may contain errors and omissions due to errors in the preparation of the original document or in the indexing. It is recommended to search several different ways for each property, such as by party name and legal description and other pertinent information.
The images are authentic reproductions of the actual document and the quality is usually good. However, blue or light-colored ink used on original documents do not reproduce well. A few older documents may be illegible since there was no requirement for legibility until 1997. Images for abstract documents are available from the present date back to 1890.
All are indexed by the document number. We are working on adding the book and pages. Grantors/Grantees are indexed from 1991 forward.
The general rule is that the grantor-grantee (or party) index, tract index and images are available 2 to 3 working days after being recorded. There are occasional exceptions due to equipment failures and high recording volumes.