Mama’s Milk Connection
A group for women and families who promote, protect and support breastfeeding.
Join us for an opportunity to:
- Provide encouragement
- Receive information
- Share your experiences
- Win prizes
All breastfeeding and pregnant women and their families are invited to attend. There is no charge for any of the groups and no reservations are necessary.
Dates & Times
- 3rd Thursday of each month. Call 218.281.1673 for meeting information.
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
The WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program is about women in the community with personal breastfeeding experience providing support and information to other mothers.
How WIC Peer Counselors Help
- Address mothers’ common breastfeeding concerns.
- Provide ongoing support to help mothers reach their own breastfeeding goals.
- Offer help outside the usual WIC clinic hours.
- Keep each mother’s information private.
Who Are WIC Peer Counselors?
They are mothers who:
- Have breastfed and have had training in breastfeeding and counseling.
- Come from the same community, culture, or age group as WIC mothers.
- Are eager to help other mothers breastfeed.
- Provide breastfeeding information, encouragement, and support.
Why Breastfeeding Matters
- Protects babies from ear infections, colds, allergies, diarrhea, and constipation. Baby gets sick less often.
- Helps baby’s brain develop.
- Helps the family get more rest – no bottles to fix at night.
- Lowers the mother’s risk of several types of cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Saves money: no formula or bottles to buy, fewer doctor bills and lower medication costs.
- Is great for mother-baby bonding.
Pregnant or breastfeeding women can call the WIC office to see if you are eligible for the WIC program at 218-280-3474. For more information about the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program, you can also contact the WIC office.
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Provides expert breastfeeding and lactation care and support, promotes changes that support breastfeeding and is a local resource within the county.